Braun ThermoScan 5 IRT 6030
- Braun is the leading brand in IR Ear Thermometers in Australia and worldwide, a trusted name recognised by the vast majority of Australian households
- Used by doctors and paediatricians and trusted by parents around the world
- More accurate than other brands due to:
- A unique, pre-warmed tip that minimises the “cooling effect” – inaccuracy which can result from the introduction of a cool probe into the ear.Braun is always ready, no matter what the room temperature.
- ‘No-fail’ positioning help – a light and a beep confirms it’s in the right spot in the ear
- Memory recall function so you don’t have to remember baby’s last temperature
- Safe & hygienic: contains no glass or mercury for peace of mind, especially around young children, and comes with 20 disposable lens filters to minimise transfer of germs.
- Large, easy to read LCD display
- 1 year warranty
- Voted “Baby Thermometer of the Year” in the 2014 Mother & Baby product awards, voted by an expert panel of mums
- Especially suitable for infants, with a fast, 1-second reading and a gentle, flexible tip designed just for baby’s ear (why the ear? See interesting info below)
- Makes a practical and useful gift for baby showers & or from grandparents – an investment to last a family for years
- Batteries included
Why choose an ear thermometer?
The goal of thermometry is to measure ‘core body temperature’, which is the temperature of the vital organs such as the heart or brain. It is the temperature of these organs, and not the extremities (fingers, toes) or the skin which is critical in a fever situation.
Infra-Red (IR) Ear temperatures accurately reflect core body temperature because the eardrum shares blood supply with the ‘temperature control centre’ of the brain, the hypothalamus. Temperature changes are reflected sooner than in some other sites, making it a very accurate method of fever monitoring.
Many parents also find IR Ear Thermometers most practical for small children as temperature can be taken in seconds, even while the baby is asleep
- To achieve accurate readings, make sure a new, clean lens filter is in place before each measurement
- Push the ‘start’ button. Wait for the ready signal beep and the ready symbol in the display
- Fit the probe snugly into the ear canal, then push the ‘start’ button
- If the probe has been positioned securely into the ear canal, a long beep will signal the end of the measuring process.Remove the thermometer and read the result on the display.If not, the thermometer will indicate the problem on the display – consult the instruction manual for more detail.
USE A LENS FILTER EACH TIME
The probe tip is the most delicate part of the thermometer. It has to be clean and intact to ensure accurate readings. It’s also good hygiene, especially if the thermometer is used by different family members, to ensure germs and bacteria are not transmitted.
If the thermometer is ever accidentally used without a lens filter, clean the probe tip as follows:
- Very gently wipe the surface with a cotton swab or soft cloth moistened with alcohol
- After the alcohol has completely dried out, you can put a new lens filter on and measure.
CARE & CLEANING
Use a soft, dry cloth to clean the thermometer display and exterior. Do not use abrasive cleaners. Never submerge thermometer in water or any other liquid.